Trend Talk - 2Q23
Noise comments received from San Bernardino International Airport (SBD) neighbors in April – June 2023 (2Q23) reflect these trends:
- Compared to April – June 2022 (2Q22), there was a year-over-year (YoY) decrease in both the number of noise comments received and the number of distinct households filing comments. In 2Q23, noise comments decreased by almost 300% and there were 8 fewer distinct households filing comments.
- Of the 45 comments filed in 2Q23, 35 (or 78%) were geographically concentrated in the city of Highland, where 11 distinct households filed comments for the quarter.
- In comparison to January – March 2023 (1Q23), there was an increase in both the number of noise comments received and the number of distinct households filing comments between the two consecutive quarters. Eight additional comments were filed, with 8 more households filing comments.
The top five distinct households filing comments in 2Q23 reside in Highland and Redlands. Together, they filed 29 (or 64%) of the total comments.
The YoY decrease in noise comments received is attributed to ongoing information and engagement about aircraft operations at SBD shared with our community. It provides:
- An outlet for neighbors
- Pilot education about neighborhood noise sensitivity, and
- Community education and awareness about airport operations, activities and developments.
The Good Neighbor Program continues to be an important resource for airport neighbors.