Trend Talk – 1Q23
Noise comments received from San Bernardino International Airport (SBD) neighbors in January – March 2023 (1Q23) reflect these trends:
- Compared to January – March 2022 (1Q22), there was a year-over-year (YoY) decrease in both the number of noise comments received and the number of distinct households filing comments. In 1Q23, noise comments decreased by 47% and seven fewer distinct households filed comments.
- Of the 37 comments filed in 1Q23, 15 (or 41%) were geographically concentrated in the city of Colton, where two distinct households filed comments for the quarter.
- In comparison to October – December 2022 (4Q22), there was an increase in noise comments received and a decrease in distinct households filing between the two consecutive quarters. The number of comments increased by 30% (11 additional), with two fewer households filing comments
The top five distinct households filing comments in 1Q23 reside in Colton, San Bernardino, Highland, Fontana and Redlands. Together, they filed 31 (or 84%) of the total comments.
The YoY decrease in noise comments received is attributed to ongoing information and engagement about aircraft operations at SBD shared with the community. It provides:
- An outlet for neighbors
- Pilot education about neighborhood noise sensitivity, and
- Community education and awareness about airport operations, activities and developments.
The Good Neighbor Program continues to be an important resource for airport neighbors.